We’re working to create a just, humane & effective prison system.
We’re doing this by influencing decision-makers, opinion formers and the public to:
- Reduce the use of prison.
- Improve conditions for prisoners.
- Promote equality and human rights in the criminal justice system.
Latest news & updatesView all news and updates
Read our letter to the prisons minister seeking clarity on changes to open prison criteria
Friends and supporters joined Trustees and staff in London to celebrate 40 years of PRT
John Drew reflects on the findings of the Independent Review of Children's Social Care
PPN seeks views from inside on how ethncity and race affects experience of prison
Government urgently need to get to grips with the basics of delivering a safe & decent prison system
The government’s provision of custody for children is in disarray.
Our latest publicationsView all publications
- January 2022 Bromley Briefings Prison Factfile: Winter 2022 Our flagship publication brings together the latest facts about prisons and the people in them. Bromley Briefings Prison Factfile: Winter 2022
- December 2021 It Doesn’t Have To Be Like This The Covid-19 pandemic has brought an unprecedented experience of prolonged isolation to prisons with... It Doesn’t Have To Be Like This
- November 2021 Invisible Women: Understanding women’s experiences of long-term imprisonment Most women received into prison are serving short prison sentences of less than 12 months. However, ... Invisible Women: Understanding women’s experiences of long-term imprisonment
- November 2021 Director’s report and accounts 2020–21 The trustees are pleased to present their report together with the financial statements of the Priso... Director’s report and accounts 2020–21
Support us in our work to create a just, humane and effective penal system
The Prison Reform Trust needs and values support from members of the public who share our aims of achieving a just, humane and effective prison system in the UK. We do not accept government funding and rely on voluntary donations.
There are a number of ways in which you can add your support, keep in touch and get involved.
You can become a Friend by making a regular donation towards our work, or you can give a one off donation.