We’re working to create a just, humane & effective prison system.
We’re doing this by influencing decision-makers, opinion formers and the public to:
- Reduce the use of prison.
- Improve conditions for prisoners.
- Promote equality and human rights in the criminal justice system.
Latest news & updatesView all news and updates
The only honest answer to whether prisoners are spending 23 hours a day in cell is “we don’t know”
Government needs to invest in supporting women in the community, not building more prisons
Minister's response poses further questions, along with those left unanswered.
Prison service faces threat of too few staff and too many prisoners on the horizon
Just how many prison places is the government building, and what have they delivered so far?
PRT Director Peter Dawson responds to the 2021–22 HM Chief Inspector of Prisons' annual report
Our latest publicationsView all publications
- July 2022 Prison: the facts—Summer 2022 Prison: the facts is our shorter summary of prisons in England and Wales and the people in them. Prison: the facts—Summer 2022
- January 2022 Bromley Briefings Prison Factfile: Winter 2022 Our flagship publication brings together the latest facts about prisons and the people in them. Bromley Briefings Prison Factfile: Winter 2022
- December 2021 It Doesn’t Have To Be Like This The Covid-19 pandemic has brought an unprecedented experience of prolonged isolation to prisons with... It Doesn’t Have To Be Like This
- November 2021 Invisible Women: Understanding women’s experiences of long-term imprisonment Most women received into prison are serving short prison sentences of less than 12 months. However, ... Invisible Women: Understanding women’s experiences of long-term imprisonment
Support us in our work to create a just, humane and effective penal system
The Prison Reform Trust needs and values support from members of the public who share our aims of achieving a just, humane and effective prison system in the UK. We do not accept government funding and rely on voluntary donations.
There are a number of ways in which you can add your support, keep in touch and get involved.
You can become a Friend by making a regular donation towards our work, or you can give a one off donation.